We have assembled an excellent project management team to carry out a trial in rural KwaZulu Natal in part of the King Cetshwayo District Municipality. The objective of the trial is to achieve a proof of concept for TV White Space (TVWS) devices to provide long-distance connectivity, together with Mesh Wi-Fi networks for local connectivity. This is intended to provide low-cost, high-performance broadband and voice access for up to 85,000 residents. In addition, free connectivity will be supplied to local schools. The trial is not only of the technology but is a full commercial trial of the economics of this type of network, together with an innovative business model that can provide income for up to 400 self-employed entrepreneurs associated with the project.
AfriCanopy’s objectives of the 14-month Trial Project are as follows:
- To provide low-cost high-speed Internet access to as many as 85,000 people living in the rural parts of the King Cetshwayo District Municipality.
- To provide free Internet access to around 50 schools located in the rural parts of the King Cetshwayo District Municipality.
- To create income-earning opportunities for around 400 community members living within the King Cetshwayo District Municipality; and
- To test and demonstrate the large-scale technical and commercial viability of TVWS technology in providing broadband connectivity in rural areas.
Licenses and approvals granted and awarded to date:
- Class electronic communications network service licenses granted and awarded to Africanopy including:
- 10 For the provision of network services
- 10 For the provision of electronic communications services
- SANRAL approval granted
Milestones to date:
- Preliminary testing undertaken
- Research and development services provided to international client across 7 projects
- Hardware importation;
- pre-deployment hardware assembly and testing in progress;
- Technical Solution integration for payment, billing, monitoring complete.
- Tower sourcing and procurement phase 1 complete
- Engagement with landowners and municipality for tower locations ongoing
- Engagement with 3rd party infrastructure providers ongoing